Re: user levels, disclosure triangles, and preferences

On Wednesday, June 6, 2001, at 07:13  PM, James M. Cape wrote:

Strictly speaking, you're right. User levels don't directly break the
grouping of items.

What I should've said was that they break up the conceptual model the
user has of the group, becase the user level is outside virtually all
groups, but it still should be in the user's conceptual model of every
group.

I think I see what you mean. Once you have a user level concept, you need to be able to change it everywhere.

I think user levels as used by Nautilus affect *only* the prefs
dialog, not the UI features. That addresses at least part of your
objections, right?

Well, there is the file properties dialog (the special flags section is
hidden in all but advanced), but other than that, this does address part
of my objections, yes.

This may seem like sophistry to you, but in this case, there's a preference to control whether you see the special flags section. So beginners and intermediates can't see this section at all, and experts can see the hidden preference to turn it on or off. This logical explanation doesn't change anything though. The fact remains that the pane is only visible if you have the user level set to expert, which is your point I guess.

    -- Darin