Re: l10n issues (Re: GNOME Releng web site)

On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 02:48:15PM +0900 or thereabouts, Yukihiro Nakai wrote:

> Sorry we Japanese translation team will never do this because
> there are too many applications fatally broken in our Japanese
> environment because those apps authors don't even think about to
> implement true i18n for just they are not interested in it. So I
> think it's a very silly idea to force innocent volunteers to translate
> those apps that will never try to improve i18n.

Would it be possible to come up with a list of "do's and don'ts" for
developers who do care about this, and get it into CVS in the
gnome-docu/ module where the white papers about coding standards
and so on live? Beyond "let translators know about new releases
in advance", I mean. More "If you do this in your code, it will
only run in, say, Western European locales: here is a way to make it
more usable".

Then if they're not followed, get ruthless about whether something
is included.

> QT2/KDE2 is really more i18n'ed than GNOME nowadays and this will
> never change even in GNOME 2.0 with Pango because the all developers
> seems to say 'Owen Tayor should work more' and forget the application
> side efforts for i18n are still needed. It's not the appropriate topic
> for this gnome-1.4 list, but it is the truth...

Well, it might be appropriate for gnome-i18n, where I imagine people
will know this through experience. Cc'd there and followups adjusted.

Telsa