Re: [gnet-devel] Compiling Gnet

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, n duarte wrote:

> Hi again, I don't mean to be a pain, but I forgot to mention that the first
> previously mentioned error was trying to compile gnet the way I originally
> tried. After trying to compile in a DOS command prompt as you suggested, I
> came across an error that prevents the creation of the actual dll and
> static library:
>
> "dllwrap: no export definition file provided.
> Creating one, but that may not be what you want
> dllwrap: CreateProcess: No error
> mingw32-make.exe: *** [all] Error 1"
>
> I also have had no luck in finding what this means. Any ideas?

I'm afraid I don't know what the messages about dllwrap mean either. However,
I can tell you that on my system here I also had the following output:

dllwrap: no export definition file provided.
Creating one, but that may not be what you want

I think these messages are normal, but the last two messages you're getting
(the "CreateProcess and "Error" messages) are different from the output I'm
getting here.

Is it possible you're using an older version of dllwrap? I'm using 2.17.50 on
my machine here (you can find out using "dllwrap --version"). This might be
worth checking.

Alternatively, when I googled for the error that you're getting, I noticed
that some people seemed to suggest that dllwrap is now deprecated. Given
this, you could try changing the last line (the dllwrap line) of the makefile
to the following:

 gcc -shared -o gnet-2.0.dll $(OFILES) $(LIBS) -Wl,--out-implib,libgnet-2.0.a

Note that the very first character of this line is a tab and not a space!

This won't generate a .def file (I don't know if this is likely to be a
problem?), however it does seem to successfully generate the dll. I did a
very quick check and the dll seemed to work, but I'm afraid I don't
understand the intricacies of this (I'm way out of my depth to be honest!) so
the suggestion comes without guarantee or warranty! It's possible someone
else may have some better suggestions.

Regards,

David
--