Re: Opening .glade (v2.0) file using Glade 3.22.1

On 21/04/2020 01:42, jmb wrote:
It has been years since I used and developed a program using Glade
ver2.0 as shown by the header of the file created then:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?> <!--*- mode: xml -*-->
<!DOCTYPE glade-interface SYSTEM "http://glade.gnome.org/glade-2.0.dtd";>

However, I am unable to open it using the version I installed via
apt-get (in Ubuntu 18.04).  Clicking on the file name after launching
Glade does nothing. When I start glade from the command line, and click
on the file I get:

(glade:1516): GladeUI-WARNING **: 20:39:53.354: Couldnt recognize
GtkBuilder xml, skipping /home/..../glade2project1/program.glade

The last time I used Glade was in 2007, so it has been a while and my
skills very rusty.  What I am doing wrong?  Or is Glade3 not capable of
reading the older format?  Any help or advice would be very much
appreciated.  Thanks!

JMB

You will need to edit your Glade file. To find out what it should look like with Glade 3.22, use Glade to produce a simple XML file. Just create a UI with just, say a window, and save it.  If you look at the XML produced you should be able to see what the opening lines ought to look like for the latest Glade to open your old file. You can expect Glade to flag various features as now deprecated, but this should get you started.

If you would like to turn your Glade XML into executable C code, take a look at github projects https://github.com/featurespoon/GladeToC and GladeToCBuilderDemo.

I hope that helps,

Barry