[Glade-users] Glade2 and gnomeui

I'm not going to debate this :-) I have wanted to use X, Y layouts from
the beginning.  When I used to program in Java and hated how there was
no X, Y back in the day (I had to used Borland's own layout in JBuilder
1.0 and that was recomended only for prototyping).  All I can say is
that I have heard too many good arguments for why not to use X, Y
layouts and Gtk's layouts are dead simple compaired to Java.  If you
ever get the chance to read Havoc Pennington's thoughts on the subject,
do it.  He just makes sense.

I agree GTK layouts are considerably more useful than Java's. I think I just
have to learn all the border and spacing semantics and I will be a happy
man - contrary to recent evidence :), I actually love layouts. I was only
using x/y out of my lack of agility with a new layout system.

Re the druid, the only problem I have is being forced into looking like
gnome. Sometimes I do not want those cute arrows and crosses on my
buttons.
This is themable.

Cool, so I can turn them off. Didn't know that.

I do not like the little strip down the side.
You can change the color.
I want the icon on the left,
What can I tell you?  You have the source.  Inherit from the Druid or
copy and paste it into something that fits your needs.

This is true. I guess a bit of cut+paste won't hurt. I am really trying to
get it to look like windows wizards, as that is what the user wants. I
didn't think about extending the druid though, that is an intruiging
thought...

etc etc. Picky perhaps but that's how it is. Also, I wonder about the
performance of stuff that has been linked with gnome libraries; I may
speaking out of ignorance here
Gnome is fast for me.  If it is slow for you then perhaps it is because of
your video card or, from what I gather, the fact that you may be using
depricated functionality in your port to 2.0.  I have also heard people
find that RedHat feels a bit sluggish compaired to some other distros
for some reason, but that could all be FUD.

I would probably believe any FUD I hear about redhat. Their distro is a bit
bloated these days.

Java-GTK/Java-Gnome.  You can use gcj (the Gnu Compiler for Java) to get
native code Gtk+ apps from Java.
No way! I'm a C-man now!! ;)

Thanks again. Will roll sleeves up and see what's under that druid's cloak!