[Glade-devel] enhancing glade for non-GTK tool-kits

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 3:23 PM, Archit Baweja <architbaweja at gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Kunal,

 Yes it is definitely possible to take a UI designed in Glade and use
 it in a Qt program. This is because Glade spits out a XML file
 describing the UI. And then there is libglade that reads the .glade
 XML file and creates the UI by making calls to the Gtk+ library.  So
 its definitely possible to write a libglade for Qt which reads in
 .glade files and creates a corresponding Qt interface.

 I don't know if anyone's written a libglade for Qt, but its definitely
 possible. One problem I see happening is that different UI systems
 take slightly different approaches to layout mechanisms.

The output of Glade is xml, but it is serialized GObjects basically,
how well that
scales to QT I dont know, Im quite sure QT uses different container objects, but
something could be written I suppose, but in the end it will be black
magick trickery,
nothing as optimal as using an interface designer intended for the
targetted toolkit.

Consider that the different toolkits have different objects to
represent that work in
different ways, spitting out a QT targetted xml file from glade would
be like a whole
other project inside Glade, in other words I see no reason to not just
do it in QT
designer if you want a QT interface.

BTW: I started hacking on Glade from an embedded standpoint, the whole point
of me taking up the Glade 3 project in the state it was in years ago,
was to be able
to modularly integrate our custom gtk+ widget kit into Glade, Glade was intended
for this, so I sincerely hope to see people start integrating their
catalogs into glade
and experience the power we've been working to provide for you.

Note that in recent days when I went ahead and ploughed through
GtkBuilder support
for glade, I completely rewrote and updated the documentation
concerning integrating
your widgets into Glade. The updated docs for Glade trunk can be found here:
http://glade.gnome.org/docs/index.html