[Glade-devel] Source code generation

Magnus Bergman wrote:
I guess this has been brought up many times before, but I'm new to this
list and missed the discussions.

What I wonder is why source code generation is deprecated? Is it just
that the code in glade was deprecated (not up to date and not
maintained perhaps) or is the whole idea of generating code considered
deprecated? I think it's nice. But would really prefer to have a
command line tool to do the job (so I actually have nothing against it
being removed from glade). Is there any reason why I shouldn't get
going and create such a tool right away?

   Historically - people have generally found it much easier to
maintain a project that loads a glade file than a project that
uses generates sources - mostly because of the pain of merging
sources every time the UI might change, using libglade removes
this stubmling block from your work and additionally gives you
a dynamic UI that can be modified without recompiling your app.

Glade 3 was designed to externalize the task of code generation
(as it has a modular design it should do as little as possible
outside of creating glade files - it should create glade files
_well_), it was planned that "if people want code generation -
they can generate code from glade files".

That being said; I personally dont think it wise to encourage
people to use generated source files in thier project, when all
that generated code can be replaced by 3 or 4 lines of libglade
code and a glade file.

Why not talk to the Anjuta folks about this ?

... generating code for signal callbacks from an ide could be
cool right ?

My 2 cents on the issue also is - if there is to be code generation
at all, there should be some kind of unified api - maybe code
generators should be plugins to an IDE, maybe the IDE should be able
to use the same semantics to generate "creation code"/"signal callback
code" for both the C# and python (and other...) generators.

/me is getting the hang of answering this one ;-)