[Gimp-user] Adding elements to pictures

I’m quite the novice with gimp and I especially struggle with layers /
navigating the various tools (and subsequent windows that open) available. I’d
really like to learn how to edit pictures of my children, by adding elements to
them. For example adding fairy wings and other magical elements like the
attached example (this isn’t my picture). Can anyone recommend the best place to
start, in order to achieve this? I also wondered if anyone might be able to edit
a picture for me, if I emailed the picture and fairy wings? I really want to
learn to do this myself but need one doing soon, which I feel is going to be
difficult to do myself, since I’ll be learning and starting from scratch! Any
help at all would be very much appreciated! Thank you X

--
NoWhizzKid (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)