Re: [Gimp-user] using darktable or rawtherapee different results

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 10:28:18AM -0500, Pat David wrote:
On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 9:15 AM Ken Moffat via gimp-user-list <
gimp-user-list gnome org> wrote:

Sorry for the top-posting. :)

No worries, it's a feature of gmail but I try to avoid it on lists.

This totally makes sense for your workflow and I presume others.  I'm
actually wondering if there might not still be a good solution.
Both RT and dt do have profiles/processing steps you can export/import.  I
wonder if you could create a simple profile that, once you had set a good
exposure, would automatically export -1, 0, +1 exposures all at once for
you into GIMP?  Similarly, I wonder if you could invoke the command line
version of RT and allow it to auto-match the tone-curve from the camera and
export all three images back into GIMP automatically.  (That would avoid
having to use the GUI to adjust things if you didn't want to).

Of course, use what works for you and you enjoy using. :)
Might be worth asking on their forums - someone might have a neat idea to
help streamline your workflow.  Glenn Butcher for instance has his own raw
processing pipeline that he makes, and PhotoFlow might have some ideas
around making things easier for you as well.

Oh, side note, Alberto on the forums has forked his own version of RT that
he is trying to make more accessible for folks that don't necessarily
need/want the depth of tools in the normal version - maybe there's
something there that might be interesting for you?
https://discuss.pixls.us/t/my-take-on-rawtherapee/13885

Thanks for those pointers, but I do not expect to be able to look at
this anytime soon (got to source parts for a new server for my home
and get all my data copied to a bigger RAID, which will take several
days) as well as the usual updates to packages.

On my current backlog of photos it is very rarely a straight 0, +1,
-1 set of exposure - more like +0.33 +2.33 -1.67 or sometimes +2 +4
-0 on back-lit pics, but occasionally with a smaller range.  But I'll
try to find time to look at those suggestions.  One day.

Cheers.

ĸen
--
thread 'main' panicked at 'giraffe',
/tmp/rustc-1.32.0-src/src/test/run-fail/while-panic.rs:17:13