[Gimp-user] Transparent Photo

I am new to GIMP.  Actually, new to any photo manipulating program. I
am trying to make a photo transparent--the entire photo, that is, not
just the background. I'm confused and keep finding instructions for
fading (which is not what I want) or instructions for removing
background. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology, I don't know. I
plan on using the photo as a backdrop for text. Any help would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Open your image in Gimp

1. Give the image transparency, called an alpha channel, Layer menu ->
Transparency -> Add Alpha Channel (if greyed-out it already exists)

2. Add a new layer, Layer -> New Layer Fill it with white (start off with white,
experiment later with different colours/patterns)

3. Move your photo over that, easiest way, use the little arrows or
click-n-drag.

4. With the photo layer **active**, ie. click on it in the layers dialogue (it
will 'highlight'), move the **opacity** slider to a value that suits you.

5. For text, click on the text tool, click on the canvas, a text layer is
created above the active layer.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/641/original/opacity.jpg

--