[Gimp-user] Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3

* JamesB <forums gimpusers com> [01-23-16 19:02]:
There is *not* a "NEF issue" as .nef is a nikon proprietary file which
need dcraw or ufraw front end to open and pass to gimp.  gimp by
itself
cannot open a nef file.  I don't work on windows, but linux.  Partha
may
have added something to his gimp packages to facilitate opening
non-open
format files, but to my knowledge, gimp must call an external program
pass nef files to it.  gimp is *not* photoshop.

soooooo, back to the original question: are we foreseeing an answer to
"non-existent" issue?    Are there any hope for newcomers to GIMP?

--
JamesB (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)