Re: [Gimp-user] layers, new problem with old methods

Title: Re: [Gimp-user] layers, new problem with old methods
Hello Richard

Thanks for a very thorough answer. I hope your "kill off" happens.
Also that the manual is made to include your explanation.

In my frustration, I re-installed photoshop CS2, which now is easier.
And now gimp chooses to print in mono, whereas photoshop does color.

This probably means my issue has been resolved... back to photoshop.
But I will ask about the color issue.

Regards,
 Don Miller
damiller2 gmail com

In GIMP every time you paste something into the image it becomes a "floating layer" by default.  In order to switch to another layer you need to:

1 - Anchor the selection down (it becomes part of whatever layer was selected before you used the Paste command).  (Layer > Anchor Selection or something)
2 - Convert it into a new layer.  (Layer > New Layer / To New Layer)

As GIMP concepts go, floating selections have always existed in GIMP and they really are something that needs to be killed off with fire because of how big a stumbling block they are to new users.

Now, if you know in advance you are going to be making a new layer out of what you're pasting, you can save yourself time and headaches by selecting "Paste As > New Layer" from the Edit menu, instead of the normal Paste.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com