Re: [Gimp-user] DON'T HATE the new save vs. export behavior

> Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 16:56:20 -0400
> From: daniel yacg com
> To: gimp-user-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] DON'T HATE the new save vs. export behavior
>
> Agreed on that point.
>
> But since you brought up the tabbed interface, I thought I would bring
> up an expectation/usability problem I came across while looking 2.8.0
> over... (I'm still learning it actually... not enough time to really sit
> and play... when I use it, there is a purpose and a limited amount of time.)
>
> I wanted to use the single window option. And when I wanted to copy a
> layer from one tab to another, I wanted to be able to grab the layer
> from the layer panel, drag it and drop it onto a tab. It doesn't work.
> What works, I figured out eventually, is holding it over a tab until it
> becomes selected and then I can drop onto the canvas. It's not
> "intuitive" if I expected one behavior and it didn't work... well,
> that's my opinion anyway. I'm quite sure the current method of
> operation is deliberate, though, as the expected behavior seems too
> obvious. So I'd be interested to know the reasoning behind not doing it
> that way. Perhaps there is a very good reason I haven't thought of yet.
> (Always a possibility)

As a quick comparison, Windows doesn't allow you to drag-and-drop items directly onto an application's taskbar button either and I don't understand why.

I agree with you, if you drag-and-drop a layer onto a GIMP tab (other than the current image) this can and possibly should be interpreted as "paste as new layer in said image".

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com