Re: [Gimp-user] Unable to flatten and/or deselect image?

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 10:04 PM, Keith Purtell wrote:
As a complete GIMP noob, I've run into a simple problem. I opened a jpg that
need more width of any color on each side. Set background to black and
changed canvas to new width. However the original center image remains
selected and Select>None is grayed out, so I can't flatten and save as new
jpg. Merge Down command also grayed out. Looked through online docs but
didn't find what step I'm missing?

I'd hazard a guess that you are talking about yellow layer boundary.
Check the lower half of the Layer menu for a command to bring layer's
size to image's size after you enlarged canvas.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org