Re: [Gimp-gui] Browser based gimp-side hosting

Hi!

On 12/16/21 12:13, Michal Vašut via gimp-gui-list wrote:
Gimp is offline desktop tool.

But there is some attempt to run it as a service from Web browser. But I'm not sure, how much it works.

https://www.offidocs.com/index.php/main-quick-links/121045-gimp-2-10-online-image-editor

Didn't know this thing so I made a quick test. When clicking the "Enter" button on this one, I noticed "xgimp" written in the URL (during the waiting/preparation step). Would it mean this is done by the same people doing a "xgimp" app on Apple and Google appstores? If so, we would highly discourage using these. There were very weird security issues reported to us for the appstore ones (like ability to see other people's images, hence for others to see yours, even homophobic changes of the GUI, but possibly because some users edited the interface remotely — because of bad safety measures again —, which was visible by others, etc.) and very bad usability in general. Yet we can't do anything about these reports obviously as we are not the ones serving this web application.

Of course, the name (adding a 'x') is maybe just a coincidence.

In any case, it's a good time to remind people that Free Software means anyone can reuse the code (provided you respect the license, not sure how much they do so here), but it doesn't mean all reuses are fair. Here I don't have enough information to say for sure, though just be careful.

Jehan

There is also project https://www.photopea.com/ that has nothing to do with Gimp, but I've tried it and it works well.