Re: [Gimp-developer] New Image/Color Management option

On 05/20/2016 02:37 PM, Jason van Gumster wrote:

Elle Stone <ellestone ninedegreesbelow com> wrote:

I can't think of a single use case for trying to edit a non-color-manged
image in an ICC profile color-managed editing application such as GIMP.

I think I can think of one: creating displacement/bump maps (often used as
textures in 3D graphics). Often in that case, pixel values aren't treated as
color, but a numeric non-color data (i.e. it's an instruction to displace
geometry---or other pixels---by this numeric mapping value).

But perhaps the artists that create these maps are not covered in the audience
specified in GIMP's vision statement.

In point of fact, the new GIMP color management options do NOT disable ICC profile color management.

If you want to disable color management, go into "Edit/Preferences/Color Management" and for "Image display mode" select "No color management".

Or you can achieve the same effect by assigning your monitor profile to the image file.

However, for your particular use case, you don't really care what the image looks like. And with color management disabled what it looks like depends on your monitor's display characteristics.

So you might as well leave color management enabled and use the GIMP built-in sRGB profile as the image profile.

You can assign the GIMP built-in sRGB profile using "Image/Color Management/Assign".

You don't need the new and HIGHLY MISLEADING "Image/Color Management" options to assign the GIMP built-in sRGB profile.

Best,
Elle