Re: [Gimp-developer] Bug found: Unified transform and perspective tool fail silently when layer is hidden.

On 12/09/2015 12:33 PM, C R wrote:
    Is this what you mean by "original layer"? If a layer stack has two
    layers, A and B, with B as the upper layer, and if a
    transform/rotate/etc tool is used on B, the "original layer" is
    layer B *before* the tranform, and the transformed layer is what B
    would look like if the transform were made using the current
settings.

    Unfortunately right now lowering the opacity of layer B on which the
    transform is being done doesn't seem to allow to see layer A through
    the *transformed* layer B.

You can currently kinda get around this by setting the "Image opacity"
in the Tool options palate for unified transform tool to less than 100%.
Unfortunately, unless you also change the "Opacity" field in the layer
palate, the untransformed layer B is still in the way.

Thanks! for the tip.

Thus my proposal:

hide/remove the untransformed version of layer B while the user is
transforming it, and set the default "Image opacity" for the transform
tool to 50% by default.
This would get layer B out of the way, and let you see translucently a
bit of what is under the transformation preview as well (layer A).

Your proposal sounds good to me. I have found the "untransformed" copy of the layer being transformed to be an absolute nuisance since the first time I tried to use a transform tool.

Reading Gez's post the gimp-gui-list (https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-gui-list/2015-November/msg00049.html), that's also the same proposal?

Elle