Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP and Adobe RGB (1998)

(Apologies if I am missing the point.)

What Elle's excellent
http://ninedegreesbelow.com/gimpgit/unbounded-srgb-what-works-what-does-not.htmlsuggests
to me is that the designer of an operation should choose what
color space the operations should internally work in, and convert in and
out of it. No more and no less. My impression is that the GEGLized GIMP is
structured so that this is feasible without too much work on the operation
coder.

I have made this point in another context: Downsample through linear light,
for example (unbounded) linear RGB with sRGB primaries or XYZ (unless
possibly your sampler is monotone or close to monotone). And preferable
upsample through a perceptual colorspace (like Lab or CMC or (unbounded)
sRGB).

Elle's examples simply suggest that the "broken" operations do not
internally use a good choice of color space, and point to one better choice.