Re: [Gimp-developer] Some blend modes break in unbounded mode sRGB

On 04/13/2014 09:34 AM, Michael Henning wrote:
You are correct in the sense that *right now*, most of the babl color
spaces are based on the sRGB chromaticities. There is nothing
preventing us from adding different color spaces in the future,
including ProPhoto RGB.

Can you add my custom RGB color space that works best with my interpolated raw files? And the next person's custom RGB working space? I've done a lot of experimenting with RGB color spaces over the years. Editing my interpolated raw files in my camera-sized RGB working space space gives the best results. The colors stay the truest. All channel data is available and can be manipulated without having the channel data contaminated by converting the image to another RGB color space with different chromaticities.

And if the operation is better done in in some other color space *model*,
not RGB but rather perhaps CIELAB or HSL or whatever, then the conversion is
now and will always be from *sRGB* to CIELAB, HSL or whatever, yes?

No, not always. Gimp already has the option of storing your image in a
linear or perceptual gray color space, as well as different indexed
formats. As above, new formats can be added easily.

If there is a way to input the chromaticities of my chosen RGB color space, and do ALL editing using those chromaticities, that would be wonderful. The thing is, without a way for the user to input his or her chosen chromaticities, you are severely limiting the user's creative use of different color spaces. Not all color spaces are equally suited for all editing purposes.