Re: [Gimp-developer] HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp.

On 06.10.2013 15:40, Jehan Pagès wrote:
Hi,

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM, Sven Claussner <scl gplus gmail com> wrote:
Another thing we should consider is the license. The used symbolic
icon set is licensed under the Creative Commons Share Alike License 3
(CCBYSA3). It is probably [incompatible with the GPL] used in GIMP
and could also be incompatible with Linux distributor approvals.
IMHO either the icon set and theme are relicenced under the GPL or we
need something else if we want to integrate them into GIMP.
The Darklooks theme uses the GPLv2.

Why would CC by-sa v3 *for themes* be incompatible with GPLv3 *for
code*? Do you have any information to backup this?

I know that the FSF says not to use it for code, but it says it is
good for arts though. And I think since themes are not "compiled in"
or "linked" to the code,

They are. Their icons at least, see
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/tree/themes/Default/images/Makefile.am#n394
ff.

there is absolutely no legal need to have
compatible licenses. I am pretty sure there are a whole bunch of Free
Software projects out there which use CC by-sa for arts (themes,
icons, etc.) and GPL for code.

Then those projects might be a) unaware of this, b) might not compile in
their icons or c) might have solved the problem. If there is one,
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#OtherLicenses lists
CC-BY-SA version 2.0 as being incompatible and does not mention later
versions.

And we were even considering this a few
days ago on the IRC channel (relicensing all our brushes/pattern and
all other GIMP default data in CC by-sa).

Yes, but those are not part of the compiled code. And we want to do this
explicitely to avoid confusion about whether images created with such
brushes and patterns would have to be licensed under the GNU GPL.

I am no lawman though, so if you have more information about this
claim, ok. Otherwise from what I thought to know, there is absolutely
no problem to have CC by-sa for themes in our main tree.

--
Regards,
Michael