Re: [Gimp-developer] Selection lost while working on multiple images (GTK #694060)

> Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 21:12:22 +0100
> From: kolbjoern stuestoel no
> To: gimp-developer-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Selection lost while working on multiple images. Missing feature or bug?
>
> Den 17.02.2013 20:22, skreiv Tobias Oelgarte:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I open two images in Gimp 2.8.4 and create an selection (for example
> > rectangle selection) for the first image. If i now switch to the
> > second image and do an selection as well, then the selection on the
> > first image is gone if i switch back. Is this intentional or a bug?
> > From the user perspective it would be nice to have independent
> > selections for individual images/documents.
>
> I do not know whether it is intentional or not but I guess it is.
> As long as you are able to resize the first selection it is in fact not
> created. The selecting tool is engaged making the selection. Trying to
> create another selection will therefore close the former attempt.
>
> If the selection is finished it is another task. The tool is ready for
> another job.
> Try: Create a selection in image one. Click another tool in the toolbox.
> Then move to image two, activate the selection tool again and create a
> new selection. The selection in image one is still there.

I just discovered something interesting -- REALLY interesting.

1 - Create any two convenient images.
2 - Make a Rectangle selection on the first image.
3 - Look at the image's Edit menu.  Obviously, it says "Undo Rectangle Select" and (can't redo).
3 - Make a Rectangle selection on the second image.

Why can't you "Undo" the first selection anymore and where did this "Redo" entry suddenly come from?  Your selection didn't just vanish - it got UNDONE.  All you have to do is Redo it, and you get your selection back (minus the handles) in a heartbeat!

This is actually quite instructive -- it implies that whenever you adjust a rectangle or ellipse selection via handles, what GIMP does internally is Undo the selector action from its old position and then re-apply it at the new location.  (Which is corroborated by another observation - create a Rectangle select, adjust it via handles, then Undo it.  Instead of returning to the selection's previous size/position, as would be the case with separate Undo steps, the rectangle disappears in a single step!)

So the question that remains is - if you switch between images and do another select with the same tool, why does GIMP need to Undo the first one at all?  It's got to be a bug.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com