Re: [Gimp-developer] Save/export, option to go back to old behaviour

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 11:40:41AM -0500, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> It might be that the long-term option is a different metaphor, in which
> the journal of GEGL operations is saved at a high level, and exporting
> to jpeg is no longer lossy because of the journal. The metaphor then
> would be that the image is being sculpted, but that anything can be
> undone or redone, even between editor sessions, perhaps with (named?)
> checkpoints/version-tags you can easily revisit.

This sounds awesome.

In fact, in the meantime, an option where gimp automatically and
transparently saves (versioned?) XCF copies of my files in a backup
directory when I "save" to JPEG or PNG would be pretty cool. It'd eat up
space, but I have *plenty* of temporary working space (and tools for
cleaning up old files).

> For just levels, curves, white balance, gthumb is quite good and has
> good gnome integration.

The problem with gthumb and digikam is that they are primarily image
organizers, so using them as photo editors is fighting upstream. GIMP is an
image manipulation program, so it seems to be _more_ the right tool for the
job. I'm _surprised_ to be told otherwise. (And sad. It's great software
that I advocate strongly for in photography circles.)