Re: [Gimp-developer] Save/export, option to go back to old behaviour

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 19:06:38 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Robert Krawitz wrote:
>
>> it is.  But I don't think that an option to allow saving to a non-XCF
>> file is fundamentally changing GIMP, either.
>
> Robert, it's been stated so many times why it _is_ a fundamental thing :)
>
> XCF is always the internal state of the document. Images get imported
> into an internal XCF, not opened and manipulated directly.

Yes, I know.  But the *option* isn't fundamental.

When you're driving a car, it's not a fundamental difference whether the
powertrain is gasoline, diesel, steam, electric, hybrid, warp drive
(well, maybe...).  Working on the innards of the car, sure, and if you
want to get optimum performance or efficiency, also true.  But if you
just want to putter around town -- or go on vacation -- it doesn't
matter.
--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk alum mit edu>

MIT VI-3 1987 - Congratulations MIT Engineers men's hoops Final Four!

--Eric Crampton