Re: [Gimp-developer] Gimp 2.8.0 - flawed export/overwrite behavior [was: Saving in .jpg or .png hmmmmm]

Going to split this because it really NEEDS some wider discussion.  There's no nice way of phrasing it - in the current GIMP this distinction is a total snafu.

> To: gimp-developer-list gnome org
> From: grosberg michael gmail com
> Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 06:45:22 +0000
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Gimp 2.8.0 - Saving in .jpg or .png hmmmmm
>
> Here's the problem - overwrite only works once. Then it becomes export.
> And you can't assign the same keyboard shortcut to both.
> You'll have to assign two shortcuts, and remember to use one shortcut the
> first time, and the other shortcut the second, third etc.
> That is indeed a strange behavior - a command that only works once per file.
>
> Say what you will about save vs. export but this has to be fixed.

When I filed bug #675385 about the export/overwrite distinction the overall response was "notabug", but Michael Natterer did also comment that:

Michael Natterer [GIMP developer] 2012-05-05 17:05:25 UTC
> There is a bug in 2.8 that keeps Ctrl+E invokable even if the menu
> entry is hidden. I fixed that in git, it will be in 2.8.1.

Unfortunately this will only exacerbate the problem -- when all you need to do is a quick start-GIMP/import-file/minor-edit/overwrite/exit-GIMP job, this means that your Ctrl+E will either work only once per image session (if assigned to "file-overwrite") or not at all (if assigned to "file-export").  In order to get both sides you'd need a third shortcut, say, Ctrl+Alt+E, assigned to the third command.

But why should a third shortcut even be necessary in the first place?  This whole distinction between "overwrite" and "export" was fundamentally flawed from the start; there is no reason GIMP should need three functions to perform what are essentially only two commands:

- "Export..." - Analogous to the "Save As" command, but for non-XCF formats.  Intended for first-time exports and other situations where you want to export an image to a different filename.  You are prompted for a filename and format options before it actually writes to file.
- "Overwrite" - Analogous to the "Save" command, but for non-XCF formats.  Intended for exporting back to the original (non-XCF) file; whether or not there was a previous export within the current session is simply irrelevant.  If the file was neither imported nor exported, then it will trade off to the "Export..." command (also analogous to the Save / Save As distinction).

Remember, at any time GIMP only displays two export options in its menu:  The first may be called "Export to [filename]" or "Overwrite [filename]" but regardless of whichever one is currently shown, it performs ultimately the same function:  Exporting back to the same non-XCF file with no questions asked.  Why does there even need to be two different internal functions (file-export and file-overwrite) to handle this ONE behavior?

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com