Re: [Gimp-developer] How much money to make a dent in GIMP 2.8?

2012/3/5 Chris Mohler <cr33dog gmail com>

Early binding.  Exporting to CMYK (for publishers who only accept CMYK
files).  Rich black vs 100% K.  "Hard" soft proof (for clients who
wish to print 0,0,255 and need to be shown the inevitable color
shift).  Overprinting.  I'm sure I could dig up a couple more ;)

That could be addressed with an intermediate binding workflow, and the idea (already proposed) of creating special projections for other color spaces like CMYK would be compatible with that.
Rich black, pure black, overprinting is more about using CMYK channels as spot channels rather than creating color managed separations.
Some time ago I proposed some rather simple changes for the Separate+ plugin to make that possible (it's already possible to create pure blacks, overprints, even rich blacks and pure CMYK primaries with Separate+ but in a manual, tedious and error prone way using the pseudo-channels).
So, back to the topic: some money sponsoring those changes in the plugin would give users a tool that would make it possible to create CMYK files with intermediate binding covering all those common needs (overprint, rich black, using CMYK primaries as spot channels, pure black/grays, etc.)