Re: [Gimp-developer] something's starting, it is the text tool

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 6:43 AM, Simon Budig wrote:

> On the specific topic: I think we need to look at the needs for
> relatively big fonts and short texts (think "headlines").
>
> This means we need good support for microtypography (sub-pixel kerning
> anyone?) and advanced open type features. There are impressively rich
> fonts out there and I want to use their features...

Speaking of which, there is another thing I absolutely hate about the
current implementation.

It's how GIMP currently treats font faces. First of all, it lists all
faces anyway, even though it already has bold/italic buttons to
toggle. So when you (accidentaly) choose a bold version in the list,
the bold toggle stops doing anything.

The other issue is that there's quite a few advanced font families
with more weight variants than just regular and bold, e.g.:

http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/adobe/myriad/

So what GIMP really should have is not a stupid bold toggle button,
but some way to choose bolder or less bold variant. I'd not venture to
ask for the same regarding proportion (condensed, semicondensed etc.),
but weight is essential.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org