Re: [Gimp-developer] Animation choices

On 15 August 2012 10:17, Ragnar Brynjúlfsson <ragtag ragtag net> wrote:
> Why not use mng instead of apng. mng is, as far as I know, officially
> supported by libpng and doesn't require any patching. They basically
> do the same thing, just in a slightly different way.

I think this discussion has surfaced before, around here (or maybe it was at
Python's imaging library) - and the conclusion of the thread was somewhat along
".apng is a hack, .mng is the right way to do it".

However, it looks like .apng  has got much more support "on the wild", and is
much simpler to implement correctly than the full specification of .mng.

GIMP can save basic .mng animations, but is miles from a full
conforming implementation
(I think it minds more for reading than for writing). I don't think
anyone would oppose
to have a patch to support .apng loading and saving now (if that does
not require a
modified pnglib, that is).

(In  a realted note: I just saw that my system's ImageMagick does
support .mng and does not support .apng -
I was about to suggest Nik a workflow consisting of creating .mng's in GIMP and
converting them to .apng with ImageMagick in the meantime)

    js
   -><-