[gedit-list] Preferences greyed out - Windows 7

I am having some issues with gedit on Windows 7. All the Preferences options are greyed out under the Editor, View, Font & Colors menus. However, the plugins menu is fine.

Other info: I've got Python 2.7 installed on the root directory.

I've tried fiddling with Windows Environment Variables a bit.... but to no avail.

Any suggestion on how to proceed would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Simon