Re: [Geary] Feature request: Browse mail by contact panel, (second try)

Hi Gunwald,

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 10:56 AM, Gunwald Neuhausen <gunwald gmx de> wrote:

 This sounds like an interesting idea.

Would it be useful, if I would provide some mock-ups?

That would be great! Before you begin, be sure to look at the following, if you haven't seen them already:

* The GNOME 3 HIG - the starting place for all good UX design: <https://developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/> * The Design Team wiki, especially the style they use for their mockups and the Mockups Resources repository they use for creating them: <https://wiki.gnome.org/Design>

Also, do have a read of Bug 730712 and Bug 771642, and look at the design work there, since we would want to integrate your proposals with those.

 It could also serve as the
 address book[3], which is something that Geary needs.

Wy would Geary need an address book? Wouldn't it be better, to integrate Gnome-contacts (https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Contacts). I like the idea,
that Geary is only a mail client, nothing else. Every contact related
action other then filtering mails by contacts and write mail to them,
could trigger an event that opens the related function in Gnome contacts.

As I said before, we definitely want to integrate with the desktop's contacts. However Geary needs to maintain its own list of email addresses for a number of reasons:

* People not use Contacts/EDS or have either installed
* People may not want put particular email addresses in EDS
* Geary-specific information about email addresses needs to be stored somewhere, regardless of whether it is is EDS or not.

Since we need to maintain a list of email addresses and related data, that needs to be managed somehow, and an address book is the standard way to do it in other email apps. However, I see your proposal as an alternative to having an address book. It could for example simply provide a way of invoking the contact popovers discussed in Bug 771642 by including a menu button that those popovers are hooked up to.

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.
⚙ <http://mjog.vee.net/>