Re: [gdm-list] Problems with show-desktop-icons and wayland

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 3:45 PM, Patrick Ben Koetter <p sys4 de> wrote:
Greetings,

I hope I've identified the right mailing list to address my issue.

Since GDM is not involved in displaying the desktop
icons, it does not *sound* like a GDM issue.

I've setup a new machine using arch linux. By default gnome uses wayland on
my arch linux install. Using that constellation I can't make gdm show desktop
icons.

I was told to switch back to Xorg in this thread
<https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=218791>.
This works once after startup.

Okay, that makes sense. So your login was using wayland,
and switching it to use X allows your Gnome session to
display the icons.

But if I logoff or suspend the machine, the desktop hides the icons
again.

Is that a known issue or is it just me standing in the way? ;)
What could I do to track this down? Enable gdm debugging?

How are you making GDM start an X session instead of a
Wayland session? are you using the dropdown menu
on the login screen?

Try using `ps aux | grep X` and `ps aux | grep wayland`
to see what process are actually running (both when
you can see the icons and when you can't).

These are my machines settings:

$ gdm --version
GDM 3.22.1

$ cat /etc/gdm/custom.conf
# GDM configuration storage

[daemon]
# Uncoment the line below to force the login screen to use Xorg
WaylandEnable=false

This only effects the login screen and does not effect the
usage of wayland after you log in.

<snipped>