Re: [gdm-list] Disable restart_shutdown_buttons on gdm3 loginscreen

Hi Josselin

Thank you for your suggestion.
I set up Debian Squeeze x86 again to test this. I've actually tried this before.

In /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults add a line:
/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_restart_buttons true

Cheers,

Unfortunately, this does not have any effect on the login screen. The Suspend/Restart/ Shut Down options are still there.

Are there any additional steps that have to be taken? After su'ing to root, adding the line you mentioned and saving the file, I just issued # reboot

Other posts suggested the following additional steps:

-running "# dpkg-reconfigure gdm3" which returns "Scheduling reload of GNOME Display Manager configuration: gdm3" but does nothing else

-reloading gdm3 via "# /etc/init/gdm3 reload" which returns "Scheduling reload of GNOME Display Manager configuration: gdm3" but does nothing else

-restarting gdm3 via "#gdm3 service restart" which returns:
** (gdm3:2427: WARNING **: Failed to acquire org.gnome.DisplayManager
** (gdm3:2427: WARNING **: Could not acquire name; bailing out
but does nothing else

-restarting gdm3 via "# /etc/init/gdm3 restart" which of course breaks my X session. Not even pressing Ctrl+Alt+Backspace does have any effect. Ctrl+Alt+Del will reboot Debian but even after dpgk-reconfigure, gdm3 reload, the Suspend/Restart/Shut Down options are still available on the login screen.

I find this very frustrating, especially since setting the line "/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list" to true in /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults actually does work - after enabling it and restarting, the user is required to enter his username instead of just clicking on an available user on the loginscreen.

Do you have any other suggestion?

I'm running a default installation of Debian Squeeze, x86, Kernel 2.6.32-5-686-bigmem, gdm3 is version 2.30.5
Debian was installed this morning, all upgrade applied.

Best regards
Chris