Re: [gdm-list] Multiple monitor issues w/ GDM 2.28

On 05/13/2010 03:28 PM, Ray Strode wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 12:36 AM, Lawrence Statton<lawrence cluon com>  wrote:
If I try launching an X client (e.g. xterm -display :0.1 ) "nothing appears
to happen" ( no error returned, but neither does a terminal launch ) (nb I
also tried launching the xterm as root, in case there were some permission
issues )
This actually has nothing to do with GDM.  It's an X configuration
question, which would better be asked on the X list or maybe the
ubuntu support forums since you're using ubuntu.

Not sure what leads you to say that -- I mentioned I had the X-by-itself part beaten into submission. Expounding on that:

If I ssh into the machine from across the room and disable gdm ( service gdm stop ) start an X server in the background, I can launch as many X clients as I want ( xterm -display :0.1 xterm -display :0.2 xterm -display :0.0 ) and all of the screens have different things ( note that I can't get to any of these X clients - not having a window manager running really makes using X even =less= useful than usual )

Note though, that multiple screens (called "zaphod mode") has gone out
of fad in the last 6 or 7 years and support for it has been spotty, so
you may not have much luck.  Or given the right xorg.conf you might be
able to get it to work.  Not sure.  Anyway, the X list would probably
be able to help more.

I just knockied off "paying work" for the day, so I'm gonna try building fvwm and see what happens when I launch that. I've noticed that multiple-screens is out of fashion - and I'm trying to come up with a cogent argument for wanting to keep using it, other than "You kids get off my lawn!"

I did a gig at a client site a few years back where they gave me a 2-headed machine in Xinerama, and I really *instantly* disliked it - I can't remember now exactly WHY it resulted in such a bilious response ...
The release notes mention that  "GDM 2.20 and earlier supported the ability
to manage multiple displays with separate graphics cards" and "These
features were not added back during the 2.22 rewrite."
The question looming large in my mind is:  Are they using the words
"multiple displays" in the pedestrian sense of "many things on my desk" or
in the specific X sense of the word "a group of screens bound to a keyboard
and mouse"?
I think this is about starting multiple statically configured login
screens on separate X servers in one machine at the same time. Not
sure.

That certainly is one possible interpretation - and, frankly, the interpretation that would make me happiest, because it leaves the door open to "the way I want it to work will"

Can gdm/gnome be made to do what I want, or am I going to just have to
continue using xdm/fvwm like I have been for the last 15 years?
I don't think the display manager has anything to do with your
problem, so I don't think going back to xdm/fvwm would help.  Of
course, you're free to try and if that environment is what you're most
familiar with then you might be ultimately more happy sticking with it
anyway.

Well, I would like some of the "modern conveniences" that having a more modern window manager offers -- the ability for my mail client to tell the web browser that I'm clicking a URL, or vice versa -- all that stuff that D-Bus gives you.

--Ray

Thanks for the response ...

--L