Re: [gdm-list] Help & & I want to be part of the fun with GDM

Brian Cameron <brian.cameron <at> oracle.com> writes:

> This is correct.  GDM uses PAM for authentication.  The GDM daemon
> talks to PAM in the daemon/gdm-session-worker.c code.  Any
> authentication prompts or messages are just passed via D-Bus to the
> login GUI.  If the PAM module requests any text-input, then the daemon
> informs the GUI to setup the entry field for the user to enter in a
> response (such as username or password).
>
> A PAM module that does face authentication probably does not require any
> input, so it would probably just display a message telling the user to
> position their face in front of the camera and block until
> authentication is successful.  Once the PAM conversation is
> authenticated, GDM will start the normal user session.
>
> So, it sounds like most, if not all, of the work you need to do is
> writing a new PAM module.  I'd think GDM wouldn't need any work unless
> you find a bug in how GDM works with custom PAM modules.

Hi,

I have tried to implement a pam module that is setting the user but gdm greeter
insists on displaying the list of users and waiting for a selection. I have
tested with gdm 2.30 in Ubuntu 10.04. Is it a known issue or have I done
something wrong ?

Thanks,
Fred