Re: [gdm-list] Separate username and password fields

Ludwig Nussel schrieb:

Actually PAM does support multiple prompts at once. You just need a
module that actually asks for username and password in one
conversation (such as pam_unix2). Years ago I even made proof of
concept patch for GDM:

One of the issues with that is, that the multiple prompt part of the conversation function interface is/was specified ambiguously. The (original) Sun interpretation differs from the one seen with some other implementations (including the Linux-PAM one).

Even setting up the parameters to pass multiple output-only messages to the conversation function is tricky to do in a way that is compatible with both interpretations. But at least it is possible.

There are additional incompatibilities to deal with when using multiple prompts and correspondingly multiple response values in order to correctly use the responses and eventually free the memory. This also affects the modules, which must correctly allocate the responses.

IIRC mixing output messages and input prompts in a single conversation call is worst, as far as portability is concerned.

So getting this to work cross-platform is hard and probably requires platform ifdefs.

This may be one of the reasons that this facility never gained much traction or support.

- Jörg

--
Jörg Barfurth                        http://blogs.sun.com/joergb

Disclaimer: I am employed by Oracle. The statements and opinions
expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those
of Oracle Corporation.