[gdm-list] GDM 2.28 a11y issues

Hi All:

I've not had much of a chance to experiment with the new GDM 2.28 until recently. Here is a summary my experiments with GDM 2.28 from over the weekend on my OpenSolaris b125 box. It's a semi-exhaustive list, but I don't guarantee I didn't miss anything.

The "+" items are good things. The "-" entries are bad things. I sent this feedback to Brian Cameron just this morning, but it seems as though I should also share it with the gdm team and then transform it into bugs in bugzilla once we've determined things aren't pilot error on my part.

+ Keyboard navigation works.

+ The high contrast selection works.

+ The larger font selection works.

- A metacity error dialog appears when I log in. The dialog contains a table. The title of the table is 'These windows do no support "save current setup" and will have to be restarted manually next time you log in.' The table consists of two columns. The first column is 'Class' and the second column is 'Window'. The sole entry in the table is 'Login Window'/'Gdm-simple-greeter'.

- The a11y icon should be in a corner of the screen to allow for more easy mouse access. Right now, it's tucked somewhere in the middle of the panel.

- The a11y icon should allow a 'hover' operation similar to the icon used to enable MouseTweaks in the MouseTweaks applet. When the icon is activated via a hover operation, MouseTweaks should be enabled in 'hover mode' and the a11y dialog should open.

- There are no keyboard shortcuts or mouse gestures to launch the a11y dialog. Instead, need to Ctrl+Alt+Tab to panel and navigate to the icon and activate it.

- There are no shortcuts to launch any assistive technology. We probably need a community discussion about these if the same gestures are to be available at the login screen and the user session.

- The magnifier launches the 'magnifier' application instead of Orca (Orca's magnification is preferred because it follows keyboard focus). The magnifier also comes up in split screen mode instead of full screen mode.

- The gdm screen is launched without accessibility enabled. As a result, GTK+ does not appear to load the a11y modules and the at-spi-registryd is not launched. This yields the login screen inaccessible. a11y probably should be enabled by default for the gdm screen, and this would hopefully fix the issues.

- SlowKeys and BounceKeys features don't seem to work, but StickyKeys does.

- When any of the AccessX keys are enabled, the "Keyboard Accessibility Status" applet should appear in the panel (it currently does not). This applet provides the user with AccessX feedback, such as which modifiers are latched/locked.

- Ctrl+Alt+Backspace doesn't seem to work any more (maybe an X Server configuration issue?).

- Entering Ctrl, Alt, Tab in sequence when StickyKeys is enabled doesn't seem to permit the selection of the bottom panel. It should.

- The GOK keyboard does not reflect the physical keyboard layout (it probably should -- if not possible, it probably should reflect a PC-101/PC-102/etc. layout). Instead, it's a minimal A-Z keyboard. This simplified keyboard does not include an "Alt" key.

- No audio cues seem to be given. We should have a login screen sound enabled by default. This might be an audio permissions or configuration problem on my machine.

- Speech doesn't work. It seems to launch, but no output is sent to the speakers. Running 'test-speech' as the gdm user from a shell logged in via a different machine also seems to result in no speech. Note that the speech synthesis process runs, so this might be an audio permissions or configuration issue.

- It would be nice if we could agree on a single a11y icon. I prefer some form of the vitruvian man - http://live.gnome.org/Accessibility?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=logo.png

Thanks!

Will