Re: [gdm-list] Multi-seat and multi-display support design

Hi,

> > When working with local multiseat systems, it will be necessary to
> > specify the keyboard-pointer-video card-sound device combination (let's
> > say KPVS for short) for the new seat, specifying zero or more devices
> > for each. There will be at least two KPVS scenarios:
> >
> > - static: the KPVS devices are known in advance and should always be
> > configured the same way.
> I'm trying to get what options should be added to X command if we want
> to specify KPVS. From Xorg(1), I got:
>
> device       Xorg option               xorg.conf
> keyboard     -keyboard keyboard-name  InputDevice section called
>                                       keyboard-name as the core pointer
> pointer      -pointer  pointer-name   InputDevice section called
>                                       pointer-name as the core pointer
> video card   -screen   screen-name    Screen section called screen-name
> sound device N/A
>
> I do not find the corresponding option for 'sound device', any hint?
>
> Without changing current design, the 'Arguments' value in displays.conf
> can be used achieve this configuration. There could be a better way to
> do that is adding KPVS key-value pair in seat configuration files.
So, one thing X development has been trying to do over the last few years is get rid of the need for xorg.conf.  The keyboard and mouse sections are all evdev these days.

I think we need consolekit to associate a usb hub, keyboard, mouse, etc with the session independently from xorg.conf.  That's the only way you're going to get sane behavior with hot plugged devices

--Ray