Re: [gdm-list] Is there a timeline for GDMsetup?

wayne_cat wrote:

> autocrosser wrote:
>>
>> Greetings..
>>
>> Ubuntu has now moved to the "new" gdm with Alpha2--there have been
>> several problems with the change-over (I will not go into them here--bug
>> reports have been filed), but many of the testing users are trying to
>> come to grips with the lack of configuration that the new gdm has. I have
>> seen reports from several sources about Gnome developers & the various
>> Distro reps talking & agreeing that the re-write "as-it is" is OK--did
>> anyone take a sample of users? What we see is a large regression that
>> removes choices--I was under the impression that Linux was all about
>> choice.
>>
>> I find now that I must go in and edit different conf files to try to
>> recover a small fraction of function that the old gdm had--I realize that
>> manpower being what it is--writing a settings panel would take time that
>> "could" be used in other ways, but is there a chance that someone could
>> write a very basic panel to at least cover the schema data?
>>

> I think a lot of users will have problems without a basic settings panel.
> I'm used to work with vi and
> I don't mind to read manual and man pages, but I'm afraid that a lot of
> users prefer "the easy way".
>
> There is a nice mockup that I have seen in the Ubuntu Karmic Testing
> forum:
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7563399&postcount=193
>
> Would it be hard to add this function to gdm 2.26?

Yes--Darkshade did a very nice mockup of the basic one that I posted to both
launchpad & bugzilla--I might add that in the few days that the new gdm has
been in use with Alpha2, the thread for it is now 27 pages long & has been
viewed over 8400 times. I would say that extreme interest has been generated
in ways to config the new gdm.......