[gdm-list] an issue about gdm make

Hi all,

Recently, I change some gdm code in daemon and update it to my ubuntu, it works fine. But I found a strange thing, in the directory /usr/sbin/, the original small gdm daemon is replaced by a script with the same name "gdm" and a big bin file gdm-binary, in this gdm script the gdm-binary is launched. Moreover, in the code directory, only the gdm-binary is there, I can not find another application named with gdm created by me when doing make. How can I make gdm code to create the gdm daemon as shown in original ubuntu? my ubuntu version is 8.10.

BTW, How can I get  gdm configure option for ubuntu? Since there are some issues as I had done with below cmd:
    ./configure --prefix= --exex-prefix=/usr           //more option????
    make
    make install

Thanks in advance!!!
Alex