Re: [gdm-list] gdmdynamic questions

On Wed, October 1, 2008 4:03 pm, Brian Cameron wrote:

> Yan:
>
>> I am running a multiseat setup using gdm.
>>
>> http://wiki.c3sl.ufpr.br/multiseat/index.php/NVidia_multiseat
>>
>> There is a basic script, mdm, which does device detection and builds the
>> x-server commands, and then uses gdmdynamic to launch each server as it
>> is
>> configured.  (The script asks each user to type and click mouse buttons
>> identify the keyboard and mouse to be attached to each head.)
>>
>> I have a need for one head to autologin.  Is there some way to get
>> gdmdynamic to autologin as it launches an x server? In the currect
>> hardware configuration it is head 3 but it really can be any head.
>
> Autologin, I believe, only works for display :0.  Autologin does not
> work with gdmdynamic, but if you can configure GDM to manage display
> :0 statically, then it can be managed via automatic login.  Some
> enhancements to the code would be needed to support autologin via
> gdmdynamic.
>
> I'm not sure, but you might look into PAM.  You might be able to hack
> a PAM module together than would avoid asking for username/password
> for a particular display.  You can refer to the pam.conf or pam.d
> manpage for more information, and there are plenty of resources on
> the web for learning about PAM.

Display :0 won't work for me as :0 in my multiseat the underlying x
session, the one that spans all monitors.  Each monitor then has Xephyr
running on it which use gdm to log in....  The display numbers start with
:1.

I know this has come up before; is there some architectural reason why gdm
won't support autologin on an arbitrary display?  Or would it just require
gobs of coding or something?  I say this never having looked at gdm code
at all, so I know not whereof I speak.

--Yan

--
  o__

As long as nobody gets hurt, a decent explosion livens up any experiment.