Re: [gdm-list] gconf

Jack:

Does GDM use gconf, or does all its configuration live
in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf?

GDM 2.22 uses GConf, mainly for configuring the GUI appearance.
This is discussed here:

  http://live.gnome.org/GDM/2.22/Configuration

GDM 2.20 and earlier only use /usr/share/gdm/defaults.conf and
/etc/gdm/gdm.conf (though the locations are probably different on
Some distros).  This is discussed in the GDM docs here:

  http://www.gnome.org/projects/gdm/docs.html

Note that most distros (aside from Fedora 9) use GDM 2.20, but GDM 2.22
will likely become more widely used in the next GNOME release.

I'm working on scripts to non-interactively rebuild our systems on new
hardware - or if they fail. In some cases this involves installing
customized configuration files, in other cases it involves changing
settings in databases like debconf. I haven't yet had to change any
settings in gconf.

For example, the script needs to enable remote connections via XDMCP.
Should it be safe to install a customized /etc/gdm/gdm.conf, or do I
need to touch gconf?

For GDM 2.20 and earlier, you should only need to modify the
/etc/gdm/gdm.conf file