Re: [gdm-list] automatic change default working directory after graphical login

Hi,

>  oo: yes, putting 'cd /proj/$USER' into .login works if the user logs
>  into the machine using CLI login and then starts the desktop with
>  'startx' OR if he/she logs to the machine via ssh|telnet. It does not
>  work for gdm (aka graphical login)
What distro do you use?  The Xsession file we ship in Fedora does:

exec -l $SHELL -c "$SSH_AGENT /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients"

to fire off the session.

The "exec -l $SHELL" part ensures that .login gets read during the
graphical login process.

It could be your distro's Xsession file doesn't do that. (Maybe we
need to fix this in the upstream Xsession file, too?)

--Ray