Re: [gdm-list] PAM_TTY / console ownership

Hi,

> So it isn't at all clear to me how we can fix this problem in
> ProductSlave cleanly.  At the time we initialize PAM we don't even
> have an X Server for the session.  We only create the server in
> response to user-verified.

What's the primary purpose of ProductSlave?  Is it for autologin?  If
so, do you see a problem with starting the X server before PAM even
for autologin?  Some PAM modules, like pam_gnomekeyring, for instance,
depend on DISPLAY being set to do useful things.  Grant
pam_gnomekeyring isn't particularly useful for autologin...

Anyway, if you don't have a particular issue with starting the X
server earlier for autologin, I can look into doing it.

> This is a problem for pam-console.  ConsoleKit will be fine since it
> doesn't run in the PAM stack (for GDM at least).
pam-console doesn't *really* matter.  It's targeted for removal by the
next Fedora release (which is when this gdm is targeted to land).  I
think David Zeuthen has a half written patch to make ConsoleKit
emulate pam_console's ownership semantics that we could add in the
interim until d-bus catches up.

--Ray