[gdm-list] face-browser proposal for new gdm

Greetings everybody!

	I have been busy thinking about how to improve the face-browser for
gdm. Both in terms of usability and appeal. The current face-browser is
sort of unattractive to use and look at these days. I am convinced a
change is justified and we can do better.

Please have a look at...

	https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GdmFaceBrowser

... to get an idea what I am planning to implement (there are
screen-mockups). Although the spec is not approved yet, I still wanted
to inform everybody in a public fashion early on.

	Seeing the efforts, which I will be putting into it, moving upstream in
the end is big on my wishlist.

	Some might remember a "rumor" that this has been in the works in the
past. That is kind of true. But it was just spare-time work and fighting
with GnomeCanvas in order to get smooth GL working in it was not a fun
experience at all. Therefore I tried to keep it "under the rader". This
time around circumstances have changed... a lot. I am much more
confident now.

Best regards...

Mirco "MacSlow" Müller