[gdm-list] letters appear as squares

Hi

I recently made an upgrade on my debian box. Since then all the letters from gnome appear as rectangles, as shown on the screenshot on the webpage  http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5251/3982/1600/squares.jpg
I remember that at one point in the upgrade I've been asked if I wanted to replace a config file about logger or debconf or something else, I haven't written down what it was...

Could someone show me how to correct that problem?
Thanks in advance

Steph