[gdm-list] more bling, please

Greetings,
   I'd like to have a gdm that shows me the time. If I understand the documentation correctly there currently is no way of doing this, as the GUI is build out of an XML file with a closed set of widgets (nodes, sorry) and a clock (neither digital nor analog) is not in this set.

  Am I right assuming that I'd have to take the following steps:
  - create a clock widget
  - add a new node type to the parser

  Or would it be possible to have a more generic approach to extending the node set? For example a widget showing a warning if the disc is running full, or one that shows the network status ... I know that this would break the proposed simplicity of gnome, but having an infrastructure in place might help people with ideas to implement them, maybe developing one or two ideas that actually are noteworthy.

  On a related note: Is there support for composites in GDM? Cause nowadays bling means compiz/beryl, and theme could have shiny somethings to attract new audiences and distract the user :-)

Best regards,

mfg