Login Warnings (repost)

Is there any control the sys admin has over the warning messages for
password issues?  I did get a password expiration warning and a delay to
read the message when attempting login, but now the message flashes away
as the login continues.

I have added some pam stuff for password strength checking and password
failed attempts.  I also added a patched version of pam_tally.so from
Tomas Mraz.

Is there any pam thing that needs to be done to ensure successful
interface with gdm?

Thanks.

Tom Browder