Re: gdm doesn't restart (sometimes) after logout

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 01:52:28PM +0100, Ingo Ruhnke wrote:
> I have a problem with gdm. The situation is the following, gdm runs
> fine for most of the time, but sometimes[1] after a logout it won't
> restart and present a new login prompt, but instead it will just show
> the console. The gdm process is in this situation still present, but
> the X process is dead. I have currently no idea what could causing
> this, since I haven't found a way to reproduce it. The only gdm
> related message which I could find in the syslogs is this:
>
> Nov 20 16:26:57 jcn14 gdm[30034]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
>
> I am using Debian potato along with Ximian here, the gdm version is
> 2.2.2.1.
>
> [1] something like one failure in 30 logouts

Hmmm strange, you should get a message about gdm removing the display if gdm
decided that would be a good idea (which would really indicate an error in the
loop of death detection).  In any case, try upgrading to 2.2.5.1, there ahve
been some fixes to the X error handeling stuff in the meantime (some in CVS
which will be in 2.2.5.2 which I plan to release shortly)

Geogre