Can I use gconf's notify feature within an application which has no g_main_loop?

Hi,
    I'm writing a program which uses gconf to store the configurations.
I want to update the program status when some configurations are
changed, so I used gconf_client_notify_add to hook a callback function.
But I found that the notifications can not be received if there is no
g_main_loop running.
    Could you please tell me how can I use notify in such kind of program?

Regards
James Su