Eliminating a GARNOME dependency

Campbell,

Your first question: How to eliminate a GARNOME dependency

One way to prevent GARNOME from building a dependency that you already
have installed on your system is to alter the LIBDEPS line of each of
the Makefiles of the packages that require that dependency. Another way
is to use "touch" to create "cookies" that will fool GARNOME into
believing that a package has already been installed within the GARNOME
install tree.

External packages often depend upon other external packages, one of
which may conflict with a package installed by GARNOME.  You need to
look carefully at the libtool files [.la or .pc] associated with a
package that you are attempting to eliminate from the GARNOME build.

Your second question: Does GARNOME support using parallel make?

The short answer is "yes". Edit gar.conf.mk
adding:

        # set parallel make flag
        PARALLELMFLAGS= -j3

for a two processor system.

Applications that have problems with parallel make have been throttled
by adding

   BUILD_ARGS = -j1

to the GAR Makefile.

-Joseph

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 14:32 +1100, Campbell Barton wrote:
> Hi, some of the links seem to be down, (freetype was for me)
>
> since I already have the latest freetype, whats the best way to say "this
> package is already installed" ?
>
> I ended up renaming freetype to .freetype and symlinking "bison" to
> "freetype" so it garnome thaught it was installed and kept going.
>
> Also, is it safe to build garnome with -j2 or more?

[snip]

--
joseph_sacco [at] comcast [dot] net