hal 0.5.8.1 and dbus

I use a small ROX application, devicehandler, which uses dbus and hal to
monitor devices. It fails in all combinations when hal 0.5.8.1 is used.
Using hal 0.5.7.1 and its patches from garnome 2.16.1 allows the app to
function normally. When using 0.5.8.1 the hald-runner libexec program and
other needed facilities don't seem to get loaded and this confuses some
apps because it cannot find the .org.freedesktop.Hal service.

I redid all from scratch outside of garnome, and these combinations seem
to work:

dbus 0.93, 1.0.0
dbus-glib 0.71 0.72 (for dbus >= 0.95)
dbus-python 0.71
hal 0.5.7.1 with garnome patches

FWIW I could not get hal 0.5.8.1 to work with dbus 0.93 so I am not sure
what this means for garnome 2.17.1/2.

HTH so that others won't have to sweat a day and a half trying to work
through the combinations I did!

--
Peter
+++++